Saturday, September 12, 2009

MY Mee Jawa

Last night as I got into my bed, I just can't keep thinking of what to cook on Saturday.  My mood of cooking just came back. Ha, it's been sometime since I last cook Mee Jawa....the last time was Chinese New Year early this year.  So, it's gotta be Mee Jawa tomorrow, I dreamt!

Well, it is not difficult to make MY Mee Jawa.  A good bowl of Mee Jawa lies on the gravy, actually.  For a start, you just need to prepare a good stock.  My version include prawn shells and big pork bones, as shown on this picture on the right.

Next, I have to prepare the gravy made from sweet potatoes (orange ones would be the best), potatoes and carrot.  Unfortunately, this morning I could not find any orange-coloured sweet potatoes, and thus I have to adjust my ingredients by adding extra carrot for the colour. 

After cooking these until soft, I placed them into a blender, until it becomes a puree like this.
To prepare the gravy, I just mixed the stock, the puree, some tomato ketchup, chilli paste (to add chilli padi, if you like it hot), assam water, and sugar and salt to taste.
 
Next, prepare the condiments that go with it, like hard boiled eggs, some potatoes (cooked and cubed), fresh red and green chilli, fried tofu, and of course not forgetting some prawn fritters.  The prawn fritters are usually thin and crispy.  But MY version, I love the soft tetxure like the ones in rojak.  The condiments will look colourful like this:

Now, the Mee Jawa will not be mee jawa if it does not have the shallot crisps. 
I NEVER want to use the ready-made one.  It takes some extra effort and time to make these shallot crisps myself, but I'm telling you, it is worth the every effort.  In my version of this dish, I love to put some of these crisps into the gravy for that extra oomph!
Once that is all done, I'm ready to taste MY Mee Jawa.  Just blanch some yellow noodles.  I have deliberately leave out taugeh, as both me and my husband do not like taugeh in our noodles!  Just garnish with the condiment and ladle in the gravy.  Place some some lettuce, shallot crisps and serve immeditely.  Don't ever forget to squeeze in some lime (limau kasturi).
Now you see it!
Now you don't !!
I dedicate this page to my sister who is now in Shanghai.  I'm sure she misses all the GOOD food here.
Well, here's the recipe, should you crave for Mee Jawa....This recipe should be sufficient for 4 -5 people.
Gravy:
600 g sweet potatoes (orange ones) or [potatoes+carrot, if sweet potatoes are not available]
400 ml stock
1500 ml water
50 ml assam water
4 tbsp tomato ketchup, 50g chilli paste, some fried shallots,
rock sugar, salt
Prawn Fritter:  Mix all ingredient and deep fried until golden colour
100g Tapioca flour, 100g rice flour
300 ml water
200 gm prawns
salt & pepper to taste.
Other Ingredients:  1kg yellow noodle; prawn (cooked & shelled); hardboiled eggs; 2 potatoes (boiled & cubed); fresh red and green chill; lettuce; fried shallot crisps.

No comments:

Post a Comment