Friday, April 30, 2010

Exploring the ICEBERG

My dear friends who know that I love travelling, you gonna be disappointed b'coz this story is not about any trip to North Atlantic nor Greenland.  I'm writing about exploring my iceberg.

Well, the sessions that I have been attending since end February 2010 has thus far been an eye-opener as far as self-discovery is concerned. One particular lesson is on the Iceberg Model, which I find quite an "abstract" matter, but can be intriguing and useful in discovering our true self and potential.


Put simply, the Iceberg Model is a model for understanding the levels of self. The concept is rather simple and common to most of us --- an iceberg where what is above the water line is what is seen and what is beneath can be a plentiful of feelings.  What can be seen in this case is our behaviours and actions, while what reside beneath are our perceptions, expectations which influence the behaviours, and at the same time interacting with what’s deep inside (i.e. like our yearnings).  The  Iceberg model simply said that when we feel that our yearnings being met, some sort of life energy is created, which in turn develop our Self.

I try to associate this theory to my daily life by reflecting some of behaviour I am familiar with.  Those who know me very well and long enough, will surely remembered me as very quick tempered (but very much less now!).  But, our friends may not understand that the deep below the anger behaviour may include other elements or feelings such frustrations, hurt, insecure which more often than not are not readily seen or understood by others.  So, I guess the lesson here is for me to thoroughly examine such behaviour deeply, before any issues/problems that are bothering me can be addressed. 
 
Similarly, the iceberg model also helps me to understand other people's behaviour, or at least help me to recognize that there are much more to such behaviour and at least help me to react or deal with it in a more rational way. 
 
So, to Sharon Ho who always wonder why I am so patient nowadays, I probably can say it is all about the ICEBERG......

No comments:

Post a Comment